Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer Writing

Summer! It’s finally arrived. 

My daughters are very excited to be finished with school until September. And let’s be honest. I’m excited to be finished packing lunches every morning.

Summer is always a great writing time for me. I usually have a lovely babysitter lined up to come here a few days a week so I can go down to my little writing cabin for a handful of hours. I also usually have a specific writing project to work on. This summer, while I have a babysitter scheduled in (yay!) I don’t really know what my project is going to be.

This has been a strange year for me. I’ve seen the completion of my first trilogy, with the release of The Wondrous and the Wicked in April, but while I have a few projects with my agent and out on submission, there’s nothing really in the pipeline. Questions like What do I work on? and Do I want to shift gears and write for adults? Or for younger children? have been on my mind.

I can’t write the same thing again and again. Challenging myself with every new project is important. I think it is for every creative mind. But I also have to think about building my career and platform, and yeah, being a little consistent—even as much as my mind wants to buck against that thought.

I don’t really have any hard and fast answers. Sometimes I get a story idea that demands to be written right now. Others just sit back and wave at me as if to say, “Go on, do what you have to do right now. I’ll be waiting here when you’re ready.”

So right now the story that’s demanding to be written is the companion novel to a New Adult rom-com mystery that I’m kind of in love with. It’s totally different than anything I’ve written before and maybe that’s what’s making it so fun and exciting to work on.


I’ve been building as inspiration board on Pinterest for the first novel. Here's a hint: Scotland, scotch, and hot men in kilts. :-)

What are you working on this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment